MileIQ: Mileage Tracker & Log

MileIQ Inc.

GET — On the App Store


How to Get Help With Your Taxes

Marin Perez
view of a senior woman receiving help with her taxes from her granddaughter

Doing your taxes can be a pain and is especially true when you're self-employed. Here's what to do when you need help with your taxes.

How can the HMRC help me?

The HMRC will answer simple questions and help you with a variety of tax queries. Contact them first if you disagree with a tax decision, can't pay your taxes on time, or have additional needs such as a disability or special-language requirements.

Can my friends or family legally help me with taxes?

Download MileIQ to start tracking your drives

Automatic, accurate mileage reports.

Yes, but you must officially authorise them. Either a professional tax person or a friend or family member registers as first. For the latter case, ask your friend or family member to register to be a "trusted helper". The trusted helper will be able to do the following for you:

  • Claim a tax refund
  • Check to see you're paying the proper amount of Income Tax
  • Update your tax account
  • Update your company car tax

Do I need to authorise a tax professional to handle my taxes?

Yes, you will need to authorise an agent to handle your taxes for you. An authorised agent includes tax professionals, the trusted helpers and any other organisation. Tax professionals are likely already registered in the HMRC online authorisation services.

Note: In all cases, you're still legally responsible for your own tax.

How can I get help with my Self Assessment tax return?

You can contact the HMRC directly with may questions about your Self Assessment tax return. They have also put together an easy-to-understand YouTube playlist answering many Self Assessment tax return questions.

Download MileIQ to start tracking your drives

Automatic, accurate mileage reports.

Still tracking miles by hand?

Use MileIQ to automatically keep a full, IRS friendly mileage log.
Get Started