Tech Lead Manager - Platform Engineer
About the Role
The Engineering Lead Platform plays a pivotal role in leading and managing the platform engineering team to architect and deliver scalable systems. This position is a blend of hands-on technical leadership and team management, ensuring the delivery of high-quality software solutions to meet customer needs. This position has a salary range of $180,000 - $225,000 plus stock options.
What you will do
- Lead a team of platform engineers, fostering an environment of continuous improvement and excellence.
- Mentor and guide the team in their professional development and technical skills enhancement.
- Lead cross-functional projects working closely with designers, data, and front-end engineers.
- Own all aspects of our real-time service.
- Elevate the capabilities of the platform engineering group through skill development and process improvement.
- Expert in modern software delivery practices.
- In a given week you would: prototype, project manage, write code, and interact with our distributed team.
The ideal candidate
- 7+ years of experience in software engineering, including technical leadership.
- Strong leadership and team management skills with a proven track record in a similar role.
- Expertise in backend system architecture and software development.
- Ability to drive technical innovation and excellence.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and a commitment to continuous learning and improvement.
- Strong Python experience.
Who you are
- You are not intimidated by scale, our load patterns are robust.
- You have battle scars with Postgres, Cassandra, Snowflake, and Kafka.
Who we are
We are a tight-knit team of entrepreneurs, designers, engineers and marketers who love building useful products that are delightful and engaging. We know how to balance hard work and time spent with friends and family.
What we’re building
Did you know that 50M+ people in the US drive a personal car for work - and qualify for an average tax deduction of $6,500? But to get it, you have to keep a log of every single drive you take (and keep it for 5 years in case you’re audited!).
At MileIQ, we’re delivering mileage tracking for the modern workforce. We are the category creator and global leader in mileage tracking, with 1M+ active users, 80B+ miles logged, and $10B+ in value.
Why we’re doing it
We started this business a decade ago - then we sold it to Microsoft - and then we bought it back.
Why? Because we still believe in the vision of making mileage tracking a delightful and universal tool for every person who drives for work. Now we’re going all-in on building an even better product, brand, and user experience.
How we work
We work remotely with opportunities to collaborate in person as needed (keeping health and safety top of mind). We always lead with honesty, respect, and transparency. We believe the best decisions are made when multiple perspectives are considered. We act like a startup, but we are mindful that our service is relied upon everyday to capture tens of millions of valuable miles. We love to build, test and learn.
How we define success
Delighting our users with products that are trustworthy, engaging, easy to use, and valuable, while building a profitable business with colleagues we admire and respect. We focus on delivering measurable results and value.
We believe in being user-centered, data-driven, optimistic, iterative, collaborative, inclusive and multi-disciplinary.
We are a great group of people as passionate as you are about making products people love, being fairly rewarded, and having fun doing so.
A little about our compensation
Commensurate with your skills and joining a proven team and established business. Competitive compensation and meaningful equity - the blend to be determined based on your risk appetite. We offer a robust health benefits package, as well as flexible PTO, a 401(k) with employer contributions, and productivity and work-life balance allowances.
MileIQ Inc. provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, orientation, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In compliance with US Federal law, all persons hired by MileIQ Inc. will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
Interested? We’d love to meet you.